Well not really 'a day'. In fact it doesn't specify which day. Just "A DAY". You will get a 'thought' when there is one worth getting. Maybe I should rename the site "Try to have a thought a day" YOU CAN HAVE 'MARKETING THOUGHT A DAY' RSS FEEDBLITZ EMAILED TO YOU BY VISITING WWW.MICHAELKIELYMARKETING.COM.AU AND SIGNING ON FOR THE SERVICE. (Not every day, thought. You won't ready them all.)

Thursday, September 06, 2007

A new segment emerges

Hi,

When I was playing in a rock band I got the roadies to take all the switches off my guitar bar one - the volume control. It made no difference to the sound, in fact I found I could control the sound by pressure on the strings and the neck of the guitar. This week I bought a new camera - x12 zoom, image stabilisation, Leica lens, a gazillion pixels. But setting it up and coming to grips with the functionality will require hours of study. I need simplicity. Manufacturers don't hire simplifers, only complicators, over-engineering products to amuse themselves. What is so smart about shutting people out through technical "sophistication" (which is in reality 'crude' and 'primitive') akin to an alien language. I don't believe I am a segment of one. There is a huge market of non-geeks. The 'single switch' people like me. Compulsory geekdom is the rule. Make a motsa. Simplify. Tap the silent, suffering mass market.

Cheers!

Michael

1 comment:

Mike said...

Michael,
That is precisely why Apple's iPod and iPhone are being so successful. In his book "Don't Make Me Think", Steve Krug applys this philosophy to web site design. Just compare Apple's web site to Telstra's or Microsoft and you can see the elegant simplicity required in today's hi tech world.
Mike