Well not really 'a day'. In fact it doesn't specify which day. Just "A DAY". You will get a 'thought' when there is one worth getting. Maybe I should rename the site "Try to have a thought a day" YOU CAN HAVE 'MARKETING THOUGHT A DAY' RSS FEEDBLITZ EMAILED TO YOU BY VISITING WWW.MICHAELKIELYMARKETING.COM.AU AND SIGNING ON FOR THE SERVICE. (Not every day, thought. You won't ready them all.)

Thursday, October 19, 2006

I don't know you...

Hi,

There's a famous ad for McGraw-Hill Magazines from the 1960's.
A severe-looking purchasing officer looks directly at the reader and says:

"I don't know who you are.
"I don't know your company.
"I don't know your company's product.
"I don't know what your company stands for.
"I don't know your company's customers.
"I don't know your company's record.
"I don't know your company's reputation.
"Now - what was it you wanted to sell me?"

This was an ad for advertising. Corporate advertising. In those days everyone read magazines and newspapers and watched Television. Media was mass. We've still got to do this awareness and reassurance job, because human nature hasn't changed (and it never will). But we can't rely on ads. Instead, corporates must rely on "brand actions" to get their message across. "Brand actions" are behaviours that define the personality of the corporation - such as sponsorships, community initiatives (eg. Virgin's Richard Branson pledging US$3bn for climate change action), customer service philosophy, customer experience, and other actions which speak louder than words. The communications channels used are publicity via media reports, word of mouth networks, and signage at events - in other words, channels that have in the past been considered incidental. They are risky because you have less control. But get it right and you generate authenticity.

Cheers!

Michael

No comments: